Saturday, July 10, 2010

The first year

So the countdown stands at 5 days until M's first birthday. What's happened in his first year?

* We learned about colic.
* We coined the term "code brown" and it's caught on - we've even heard it referenced among friends
* We know that our Boxer Haylie is absolutely the best dog around - M will grab her face and she will let it fly. Really, she is awesome with him.
* I can pack a diaper bag in under 5 minutes - Daddy cannot.
* Friends have come and gone. This is one of the hardest parts to cope with. Although the ones who have gone initially caused some sorrow, I am THRILLED to have made room for some unexpected good friends. Even M has a lifelong buddy - who is only 2 days younger than him - his Mommy and Momma totally rock our world.
* I had back surgery. This is totally the worst part of the year. Unfortunately it did not resolve, so I am looking to get another one. It's sad because I feel a TON of guilt because I feel like I haven't been the best Mommy to M. He is my world, AND the only reason I am going to have this next surgery (oh, and to relieve the excruciating pain that consumes my life daily). But it's really to have a better life with M.
* Mommy got a promotion! YAY!. Too bad I haven't gotten paid for it yet..4 weeks and still waiting.
* We are ALWAYS late.. for everything...
* Sid the Science Kid has become a household staple. Mommy sings the songs and M even said hello to Sid on the tv today.
* Jell-o vomit stains DO NOT wash out of clothing


* But most of all, our love grew for our child just as much as he has. He has brought us more joy that I can imagine. it's been a trying year for Steve and I - and we can honestly say we made it - in one piece. Here's to another million more adventures!

1 comment:

Ripe for Reading said...

LOVE the new look. Can't believe M is going to be ONE? Whoa! He is a doll. You are a great mother--be proud and take pics of the cake you bake! I made Ian's--allergen free! :) xo