Sunday, August 8, 2010

The Real Ocean

Some may be thinking "what else is there besides the real ocean?" My friends, it's true - there is something out there, an impostor if you will.. it's name? The Long Island Sound.

Any beach in CT is located on the Long Island Sound. Now, for you avid beach goers, especially crew from the Jersey Shore (but not the cast of the Jersey Shore) you may have one been fooled into thinking that it was the same. Of course, the water is fresh from the Atlantic, but did anyone mention that the CT coastline is miles away from the Atlantic? That the shore is filled with rocks? Rocks. AND the worst part - no waves. I mean, the water *trickles* to the shore. So not only am I now further than 10 miles from the beach, I am 40 miles away from THE SOUND.

Ironically enough, I found solstice in the shores of RI. Misquamicut State Park is home to the REAL OCEAN. Waves bigger than your pinky toe.. rip tides, sharks, jelly fish - it's all there! I took M for the first time on Friday to the real ocean with Riz. Let me tell you we had a blast. At first he was not so fond of the whole experience. Surprisingly enough the water was COLD! But once we got in, M enjoyed jumping the waves. We ended by sitting at the shore letting the water creep up to our toes and then wash away. It won't be long before he is boogey boarding and eventually long boarding, just like I did when I was little. And I'm sure Auntie Riz will agree that he was the perfect beach companion - sat on the blanket, didn't fuss, and when it was time to go - we were ready too! Ending the day with Key Lime at cold stone...

We LOVED it...!

2 comments:

FireChild said...

I am laughing because I know exactly what you mean. My hubby's family has a beach cottage on Niantic sound and the waves are lame! Although it is still beautiful. Have you taken the Ferry to Block Island? It is on my to-do list.

Amanda said...

LOVE.

Can I come next time?

When I lose 50 lbs?